Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mahenge Spinel

Today I’m going to tell you about my holy grail stone: Mahenge spinel (maa-hen-gay) (spin-el).

Mahenge is a region in Tanzania where my holy grail is mined. Spinels can come in just about any color but what makes Mahenge spinel my holy grail color is the very rare neon red pink to neon pure pink colors that were mined from it. I mean, just look at this puppies:

Art Nouveau's Leon Mege Mahenge Pricescope





Chrono's Mahenge Pricescope
WATCH IT IN ACTION - DROOOOOOL

They were discovered in 2007 and have almost been completely mined out. There are still spinels mined in Mahenge, but that perfect glowing specimen has all but been depleted. Every once in a while you’ll hear stories about some "old mine" Mahenges hitting the market, and the scramble to get one is epic!

I spent two years buying stones and returning them (I probably went through about 20 different stones).




I’d basically given up hope until I got a call from a vendor in New York who remembered my quest and told me he had my holy grail. Long story short I now have it and it makes me blingasam every time I look at it.




I’ll probably go into some more technical details about spinels at some other point in time, but since I’m wearing my holy grail today and I seem to be on a pink kick, I thought it’d be fun to introduce you all to my baby and I why I love her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment